Our Ramona Woman’s Club was the first organization formed in the Santa Maria Valley. In 1912, Mrs. W. D. White (Mary) gathered together fourteen charter members, calling themselves the “Thimble Club.” Until 1917, when the Clubhouse was built, they met at the Town Hall or member’s homes. The Clubhouse is built on two lots donated by Frank Creelman. Original bylaws set a goal: “to cultivate an interest in intellectual and civic pursuits.” This goal has dominated our Club throughout the years. Mary White founded the Scholarship Fund, donating one thousand dollars. That fund and the newly established Ellie Whitcomb Scholarship provide grants for two college students. Depending on fundraising efforts, a vocational scholarship may be awarded to a graduating senior. Our Club and building have seen innumerable activities, and Guy Woodward, former local historian, once stated, “The Woman’s Club has always been the ‘Backbone of the Back Country’.”
In 1990, a plaque from the original Clubhouse Garden drinking fountain was returned to us by Guy and Geneva Woodward and is mounted near the front entrance of the Clubhouse.
In 2015-2016, we complete 104 years of continuous operation.
Categories: Clubs and Organizations, Non-Profit Organizations