Guy B. Woodward MuseumGuy B. Woodward MuseumContact: Judy Nachazel
Guests can travel back to western days gone-by at the Guy B. Woodward Museum in downtown Ramona. Housed in the 1886 adobe Verlaque House, the museum exhibits historic treasures of early Western culture, including antique furnishings, vintage clothing, cowboy artifacts and mining equipment. Resembling a small Old West town, the surroundings buildings include a cowboy bunk house, blacksmith shop, tack room, one-room school, post office, and millinery shop. The museum also contains the Casey Tibbs Memorial Exhibit, Bancroft Memorial Rose Garden and Dr. James Robert Moriarity III Archaeological Archives. A large collection of pioneer wagons and tools, a medicine wagon and an early day Ramona firetruck are also on display.
Guy B. Woodward’s meticulous research into his Ramona roots spawned a quaint museum bearing his name. He began assembling artifacts in the 1940’s and mining the memories of everybody from ranchers to Civil War veterans. As President of the Ramona Pioneer Historical Society Woodward spearheaded the opening of a modest museum in the Ramona town hall in 1979. A few years later the museum was named in his honor by the Ramona Pioneer Historical Society board of directors. In 1985 the museum moved to the historic Verlaque house, an adobe of French provincial design built in 1886 by Theophile Verlaque who moved to San Diego in 1870. The museum was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1991.